Saturday, July 6, 2013

Almost certifiable

I like to run because it makes me feel good.  I hate to run because it makes me feel bad.  Sometimes I like to run and hate to run at the same time.  Many times, I love the thought of running and hate the actual running.  Other times, I hate the thought of running and then I love the actual running.  Sometimes I run with people and other times I run by myself.  Sometimes I am with people but it seems like I am by myself.  Many times, I am sure, people I run with wish I was by myself.  One time I ran right after I stuck a pencil in my foot.  There was a lot of blood but I still ran.  Last week I ran in the biggest rain storm I have ever been in.  It was torrential.  I loved it.  I ran around and around the park.  I was thinking that if people looked out their windows at me they would be thinking I was an idiot.  I was really happy running in the rain.  Maybe I am an idiot.  I was watching The Shining the other day. I think maybe I am reenacting the scene where he writes and writes and writes and it was the same thing over and over.  Then he puts an axe in Scatman Carruther's stomach.  If someone finds an axe in Scatman Carruther's stomach tonight then it was me.  I didn't mean to and you can find me in the hedge maze.  Please bring a blanket because I will be cold.  I have had a bit of trouble thinking of things to write.  I've been running 3 days per week.  That has been good.  I've added in biking and swimming because I signed up for a Sprint Triathlon in August.  This has kept me true to my three days per week running plan and ensures that I do my cross training.  If I don't swim, I will die in the water portion of my triathlon.  That is incentive aplenty to get my ass in the pool.  Know what a pet peeve of mine is?  I'm going to tell you.  That there are people out there who actually encourage others to half ass it to get through these events.  That is a sure way to get injured and/or very frustrated.  If I have learned one thing in the years I have been doing this stuff it is to be careful with form and technique.  I will push myself but I know my limitations.  It has taken a while for me to get back to where I am.  I feel strong.  I am 20 plus pounds lighter than I was a few months ago.  I have done this in a smart and fairly well planned manner.  It wasn't easy.  I can say one thing, you don't need a fad diet.  You don't need a fad workout.  Sometimes it is one step forward, two steps back.  If you stick with it, it eventually becomes three steps forward.  It is an amazing feeling to feel strong again.  Yesterday, I ran the hill route that I used to do all the time.  It was never easy.  I haven't done it since my knee injury last October.  Quite frankly, I was intimidated to do it.  It can be a very uncomfortable run.  I did it with some great friends and it turned out great.  I made it without walking and I felt strong.  I know now that I am close to being back where I want to be.  The work is paying off.  Not quitting through the frustrations of the past few months is paying off.  My base is there, now to get it all together for the races I have coming up.  Now, where is Scatman Carruthers?  And my axe.

No comments:

Post a Comment