Saturday, October 12, 2013

Running and Racing

Ed -

I just got back in from a nice 10 mile run in the rain.  It wasn't raining the whole time; mostly it was just spitting and misting, but it was warm and wonderful.  I slept in this morning to maximize cuddling time so I didn't go out for my run until lunch.  That, of course, means there were cars all over the place so I spent a lot of my time jumping off the street and onto the soft shoulders or down into the drainage ditches.  I have to admit that the first time I was forced to step off of the road I was a little peeved, but I ended up landing full-footed into a really nice mud puddle with a satisfying splash.  Mud and leaves went all over and my trailing leg got covered.

It was great!  After that I sort of aimed for the puddles.

I had my iPod with me and was listening to some great tunedge and even singing along.  Got a wave from a nice old man walking a yippy dog when I realized I was singing Eminem's "Not Afraid" out loud

"...those mo#!$@ fu^$@#& are doin' jumpin' jacks now!"

Nice.

:::waving:::

I ran and smiled and sang all through the hills and neighborhoods of my normal course, but this time got to wave back and forth to all the folks out because the sun was actually up.  Although it was behind rain clouds and what not, people were actually awake and out.  That's my point there.  It wasn't just a couple of us nutcase runners and bikers out there at 5:45 trucking around.

All in all just a great time and a good workout.

A lot of my other friends down in the Outer Banks were racing this morning in the Colony Lost & Found 5K and I saw a few of the pictures from it before heading out.  One picture was of the mom of one of my friends finishing her first 5k ever!  It reminded me of how each one of these events is a really big deal.  It also reminded me that more of my friends, and Bob, are running in a Marathon tomorrow!  (Did you get it when I said "and Bob"?  It's like he's NOT one of my friends but he really is.  That's so funny, doing that.  I crack myself up.)  That's going to be a big deal for a lot of runners and Bob, too. (See!  I did it again.  Hilarious!)

Bob's actually got a goal in his head which has something to do with a time and not just with a pirogue volume goal and he's been training hard along with a bunch of other folks.  Most of them have just been working on the running part, but Bob is an overachiever from way back.  Personal note:  Just like with the pirogues, Bob, the key is to pace yourself.  Start slow and accelerate.  You're going to do great, and photo bomb a lot of people along the way.  I know you, and am proud to say it.

The point of this rambling wreck of a post?  Whether its me or somebody else, whether its running or racing; it makes me smile.

Run on Rockers!  or . . . Rock on Runners!  or . . . Nur no Srennur!  Forget that last effort, that's just goofy.

No comments:

Post a Comment