Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Magic moments in running aren't always from the run, but because of the run

I don't even know how to start this.  I guess I will just dive right in.  Last night, I had the opportunity to drive two hours away to run 8 ish miles in the middle of Amish farm country at a time when I am typically sound asleep on my couch.  The opportunity to run 8 ish miles, starting at 8:15 P.M.  A moonlight run in Lancaster County, PA.  Not a race, a run.  I can run 8 miles anywhere.  Right out my front door.  But, this was different.  A posting was sent out about a month ago that Christopher McDougall, the author of Born to Run, and Scott Jurek, one of the most famous ultra runners in the world, were coming to Lancaster to run and meet with a local running group.  The first 100 outsiders who sent an email expressing interest would be allowed to come and run with this group.  And meet Chris and Scott.  I responded and got in.  So did a few other friends.  We were super excited, but I think as the day got closer, we all started to realize that it was going to be a late night.  Two hours there, run 8 or 9 miles, meet and hear a talk by Chris and Scott and then drive two hours home.  I thought about not going because I had to get up and be at work by 7, but my excitement prevailed.  We had the chance to meet some big time names in the running community, run in a beautiful area, be with old friends and maybe make some new ones.  There was a certain curiosity as well.  There is a group of Amish runners who run in the clothes they wear everyday, except with running shoes.  So, we got to run with some special people.  There are some magic moments in running.  It goes beyond the runner's high that we hear about.  Running with friends at a decent pace.  Fast enough to get a great workout, but slow enough to talk.  To see the sights of a new area.  Even though it was night, we were running amongst farm houses, cows, horses.  As dusk turned to night, it was harder to see, but your senses get more acute.  You start to feel the road more.  You become aware of the undulations and contour of the road.  Sometimes we were on small farm lanes.  Part grass, part dirt, total fun.  Cows were looking at us, Amish children were sitting outside and waving at us.  Some people were totally unaware that we were coming and I can only imagine their surprise at seeing a hundred plus runners coming out of the pitch black with small headlamps shining.  

Afterwards, we sat and listened to Scott and Chris talk.  As much as I like to read and learn, I don't put a lot of stock in most writers.  They are usually too full of themselves and what they have to say is typically just regurgitated crap that has been written over and over many times before.  They just find a way to make it sound like they came up with something new by tweaking things a bit.  Especially running, fitness and diet books.  Chris McDougall's, Born to Run went way deeper.  It explained so much and it really changed my whole idea of running.  I read it at a time that I was frustrated with my running and injured.  Without going into huge detail, the thing that effected me the most was the idea that the human body was designed pretty intelligently to perform.  That if we leave it alone and let it work the way it should, we can get stronger and better.  He talks a lot about bare foot running.  I never caught the barefoot bug, but I did catch the minimalist bug.  As close to barefoot as you can get.  Very little support, let your feet get strong like they were designed to be.  I changed my attitude towards running and  I changed my stride. The book changed my running life.  Which, in turn, sort of changed my life.  Because running is that important to me.  I really wanted to meet him and shake his hand.

Scott Jurek is incredible.  Although I will never be an ultra runner, I am in awe of what this guy can do.  He told a story of being in a 150 some mile race and at about mile 130 he thought someone was catching up to him, so he started to kick up an 11 mile hill at an 8 minute pace.  The thing he brought home is that there is always more in the tank.  Even when you don't think there is, there is a bit more.  I love that attitude.  

I was beyond tired this morning.  Somewhat long run at a late hour at a fairly fast pace.  About three hours of sleep.  Tired and sore.  It was totally worth it.  


2 comments: