Sunday, November 11, 2012

Turning a negative into lemonade

Bob -

I will admit that my running has been not so eventful for awhile.  Some soreness, lots of work and other issues has kept me from exercising as much as I would like.  I tend to beat myself up over this and other things in my life that disappoint me,  until I can find some rationalization for everything.  Then, I can somehow make myself feel better.  In the past, I have referred to this phenomena as going into my man cave of denial.  This is where everything is better than it seems.  My happy place.  It just isn't real, which may or may not make me crazy.  But, like Freud used to say back when he was alive, "you ain't crazy if you don't think you are."  I really don't know if I agree with that, because my personal opinion is that those of us who admit that we are a bit nuts are far more sane than those who think they aren't.  When and if I complete my time travel mechanism, I am going to go back and have a talk with Freud and  maybe have a cigar and some scotch.  What does this have to do with running?  Who knows?  The point of it all is that I haven't run enough as of late and I feel a bit out of sorts.  So, I analyzed the situation and came up with some stuff that I can feel good about.  Instead of feeling bad about not running so much, I figured that I will focus on the positives.  For example, on Thursday, I wasn't even hungry, yet I was able to eat a double cheeseburger from Wendy's.  I then pushed myself to consume all the fries as well.  All this while driving.  I got my head stuck in the bag driving 65 mph trying to get the last fry and was still able to control the car.  This takes tremendous athletic ability and cat like concentration...or reflexes.  Whatever, I did it.  What I don't like to talk about, because it makes me seem like I am bragging, is that I ate the burger without having any ketchup or salt.  Consuming the whole thing without it having its full flavor potential was tough, but I got through it.  I pushed myself like I do for the last mile of a half marathon.  Think of the finish line.  Think of the medal.  In this case, my medal was the tomato I found plastered to my sweatshirt a few hours later.  I display that tomato with my marathon and half marathon medals.  On the wall of my office.  The great thing about a tomato medal is that you don't need a hanger for it.  You just throw it on the wall and there it sticks.  I did a double workout that day as well.  Some good friends and I ran under the stars and then went to Five Guys to eat.  I had another double cheeseburger.  With everything.  As bad as my first double cheeseburger was, the second was incredibly awesome.  Because I was sitting at a table, there was no medal.  Every morsel made it into my stomach.  Good, good day of eating.  So, my running has been bad, but I am eating like a champion.  Chariots of fire filled with fries and donuts.

Today, I decided that I have had enough of riding the gravy train.  The chuck wagon of self pity is pulling off the trail and I am putting on the running shoes.  I have been running, but my diet has been pretty awful and I can feel it in my workouts.  In all seriousness, I love to eat.  I am not going to stop, but I have been going crazy for a while.  Too many calories, not enough exercise.  Up to recently, I have been able to enjoy a lot of the food I like and work it off through running and strength training.  I said to myself today that this is it.  Time to get back on track.  As Freud loved to say, "sometimes a cheeseburger is just a cheeseburger, but with the right amount of condiments, it's a meal."  He was a strange guy.


 
Ed's lunch on Friday:  Double Cheeseburger, fries, Egg Nog Shake, and a diet coke.

No comments:

Post a Comment